Really Simple Syndication (RSS) allows website owners and content publishers to create XML feeds of their content and make these feeds available to the entire world. Third party website owners can then syndicate this content and feature it on their own websites, invariably providing a free link back to the content on your website.
Merely setting up and publishing an RSS feed is not enough for search engine optimisation. What you need is a complete RSS marketing strategy that encompasses everything from writing interesting copy that others will want to read and even feature on their site, and then marketing your RSS feed through numerous channels.
Creating RSS Content
Numerous articles can be found online that deal with setting up an RSS feed on your website in order to syndicate your content. This article deals with things you should and should not do when using RSS for search engine optimisation.
- Ensure that the content is interesting, regularly updated and useful, otherwise no one will subscribe to your feed or feature it on their site.
- Ensure that you host the actual articles or blogs on your own web domain, otherwise the benefit of the link-back will go to someone else.
- When creating RSS feeds remember to provide links to relevant information on your website.
Search Engine Optimisation with RSS
The most obvious benefit of RSS for search engine optimisation is the number of inbound links you can obtain from other website owners who syndicate your content. The following tips should be implemented to ensure that you reap the maximum benefit to SEO from your RSS efforts:
- Ensure that all websites that publish your content keep links to your website intact and do not add rel=”nofollow” attributes.
- Use search engine friendly URLs without meaningless parameters. An example of a poor URL would be www.accuracast.com/articles/a.php?x=12&y=23
- 301 redirects are recognised by the search engines and are preferred rather than 302.
- Configure your website to enable easy subscription to your RSS feed from the homepage itself.
- Remember to make your URLs traceable so that you know where links and traffic are coming from.
AccuraCast’s search engine marketing services include RSS feed creation, implementation and promotion. If you need help setting up a comprehensive search engine optimisation campaign that includes marketing via RSS contact us, and one of our friendly consultants will be glad to assist you.