The Beautiful Game Online
It’s searched for more often than the Covid-19 vaccine, and whether you’re a football fan or not, it’s likely to have shown up in your feeds. EURO 2020 is trending online.
The EURO 2020 championship is nearly as popular as the FIFA World Cup in the UK (less so globally).
Here are some interesting stats:
- TikTok is the first social media platform to support a major sporting event. They’ve generated over 5.1 Billion views on the hashtag EURO2020, in addition to 100s of millions of views on related hashtags such as #GoalCelebrations and #FlagFace.
- The official EURO 2020 app was downloaded over 5 million times on Android
The Fantasy game was also downloaded over 5 million times.
- A survey of people in the UK watching the tournament found that 26% will be on a gambling site, checking odds, placing bets, and cashing out, while watching EURO 2020.
- UEFA’s official Instagram account for EURO 2020 has 8 million followers, who were shown an average of 24 posts per day this month. The average engagement rate was 0.02%, though the most liked post got over 500k ❤s.
- On Twitter, the EURO 2020 account has 2.4 million followers, which is the lowest follower count out of the major consumer social networks. 44.7M tweets about EURO 2020 since 1st of May with the top emojis being 👏, 👀 & 💥
FYI: the most searched for teams last week were: